Friday, January 7, 2011

They said the first year would be tough

I would like to think that since we have been through more than enough (pain, frustrations, waiting, tears, pushing, etc.), that we would be exempt from the rule "First Year is Tough;" but I guess not.  As I said in my previous post, Graham (and the rest of us) have been sick since the beginning of December.  Well, he got the call Monday morning to come in.  Wasn't as bad this time.  I don't know if it was because it was more expected this time, if it was because I was at work and not looking forward to an evening with him, or if just deep down, I knew.  But luckily, I was able to keep it together...phone call came in the middle of the day and I HATE crying in front of my class.
Graham's culture he did the previous Thursday came back positive for Influenza (how the #&** did he get the Flu!!!) and the only way to treat it, and prevent an Acute Rejection, is to do an intense round of breathing treatments combined with IV antibiotics (glad they figured out that clot mess).  Now, when I say intense...holy crow, I mean intense.  I rarely feel bad for the guy; I mean, if I did, I'd never have time to think of anything other than him; but this breathing treatment he has to take is RIDICULOUS!  First off, there are only a few machines that can actually mix this nice concoction up in the DFW area - and they were already in use.  That means, when we got there Monday evening (a whole other ordeal in itself), it wasn't ready for him (neither was the room - took 3.5 hours to get ready, and they wanted him up there at 10 that morning!). So he waited, and waited, and waited.  He waited all the way until Wednesday at 3:30 to get his first treatment.  All he was doing there was sitting in bed, watching TV - he could've done this at home!
So here's the low down of the treatment: it's some highly toxic mixture that he has to inhale for 6 hours (yes, I said 6), break for 2 hours, then go back and inhale for another 6 hours.  He does this process until he has taken 15 treatments (for a total of 5 days).  And because of it's toxicity, he's in an isolation room (think exact opposite of padded walled crazy room) where no one is allowed in except doctors and nurses - and just to get in the room, they have to garb up almost as if they are in a Hazmat suit.  Our question was...how is it ok for him to breathe this in???  Dr. Rosenblatt struts in wearing normal clothes, Graham's in awe thinking - why don't YOU have to Spongebob up? - and apparently all that this "highly toxic" breathing treatment will do to others is 1) It will stick to your contacts and 2) If you are pregnant, could cause birth defects.  But, Jordan and I are still unable to come in and see him - not taking any chances.  So during the week, we stay away.  Tomorrow (Saturday), however, we are going to try and sneak in on one of those 2 hour breaks.  We can't wait.  Jordan and I were talking about visiting Daddy as I was putting her to bed, and as I'm typing right now, she's singing as loud as she can in bed - she's so excited!  Hopefully she goes to bed soon though, don't want a cranky kid tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment