Saturday, September 25, 2010

Two steps forward...and standing still

Wednesday came all the great changes!  The doctors gave Graham Albumin, some wonder drug that pulls all of the fluids out of his veins and tissues and into his body, and a couple of diuretics.  Everything started working Tuesday night and by Wednesday morning, he had peed out 12 pounds!!!!  When I came to see him Wednesday night, I saw my husband's old handsome face...it was great!  He was in much better spirits too.  His speech had actual inflection in it and not just monotone unhappiness.  He had told his mom that he now thinks he can get better.  What a difference 12 pounds makes! 
He has since lost a couple more pounds; most of his swelling is all gone.  He is only swollen in his arms, chest and stomach.  On Wednesday, his left arm was not swollen but right was, I had to laugh a little...it was funny looking.  There was a part of me (kind of a big part) that thought he would never look like himself again.  But he does, and he feels great mentally...and that makes me so happy!
What I didn't realize is they predict he will leave the hospital weighing about 100 pounds (he came in 110 and that's low for him).  This is not how it's supposed to be, he's supposed to FINALLY WEIGH MORE THAN ME! Ugh!  But, here's how this goes: 1) His body went through a really big ordeal (duh) and is trying to cope and recover from the surgery; 2) All the swelling has been pressing on his stomach and affecting his appetite - so no eating; and 3) He was on a liquid or mechanical (looks like kitty tuna) diet for 2 1/2 weeks.  So of course he's going to lose weight.  My goal is to fatten him up when he gets home so I can finally be the little one in the house (I'm dreaming, I know).
He has been sitting in this position since Wednesday...no progress, no digressing.  It's not bad, but it's not good that he is progressing.  It's annoying.  He has also developed a small pneumothorax in his left lung (a small hole).  Dr. Rosenblatt has full confidence his body will heal itself.  He also wants Graham to come home this week...hopefully get his tube pulled soon and home by mid week.  We are taking these words with a grain of salt, but secretly dancing a jig.  Jordan and I have already made plans to do nothing but hang out with Daddy next weekend and watch the TX/OU game.  We'll see if these plans come true!

1 comment:

  1. My prayers are with you! I'm hoping this is the beginning of good things. In our experience true healing began when we got home. I hope he is home to watch Texas beat the pants of of OU.

    ReplyDelete